Using a psychosocial perspective and media research, you will analyze a product campaign to fully demonstrate your understanding of the effects and impacts of propaganda, social influence, persuasion, and attitude changes on society. You will also examine how your own behaviors are influenced by popular media and mass communication.
Select a company that is currently promoting one of its products and has an extensive advertising campaign running at this time.
For this week’s assignment, you create a power point presentation (1 title slide, 2 content slides, 1 reference slide), on the following:
- Content Slide 1
: What product did you select, and why? What were your initial reactions to the product advertising campaign under analysis?
- Did the campaign change your attitude? If so, how?
- Did the campaign change your behavior? If so, what did you do differently?
- Content Slide 2
: Choose two of the following sociopsychological approaches to describe your understanding of persuasion and propaganda used in the campaign:
- Authority: Did the campaign use an authoritative figure to persuade you?
- Reciprocity: Did the campaign offer something in reciprocation?
- Commitment or Consistency: Do you feel a sense of commitment or need for consistency because of the campaign?
- Social Proof: Do you feel a sense of social approval because of the campaign?
- Likeability: Do you like the people in the campaign?
- Scarcity: Does the campaign imply a scarcity of the product?
- Include any media research and available data that are specifically related to your product and the advertising campaign.Reading and Learning Materials
Use the following resources to help you complete this assignment:
Science of Persuasion
Managing Theories, Effects, and Mechanisms for Narratives in a Media Text
Media Effects Research