WEEK 6 ASSIGNMENT – EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL ENVIRONMENTS
Week 6 Assignment – External and Internal Environments
In this assignment, you are to use the same corporation you selected for the Week 3 assignment and examine the industry in which the entity operates.This assignment requires the use of three or more quality resources, including your textbook. Use any or all of the following resources to conduct research on the chosen corporation:
- The corporation’s website.
- Public filings from the Securities and Exchange Commission’s Filings & Forms page.
- Strayer University’s online databases.
- The Nexis Uni database.
- Other credible sources such as the corporation’s annual report, will often provide insights that other resources may not include.
- It is expected that you will use your textbook as a resource for this assignment.
- Read the Assignment Formatting and Tips [PDF] before starting the assignment. Refer back to this document as needed.
- Download and save the External and Internal Environments Template [DOCX].
- Use the template to write a 4-6 page academic research paper in which you include the following:
Step 1. Choose one segment of the general environment that would rank highest in influence on the selected corporation:
- Assess how this high-ranking segment in the general environment influences the corporation and the industry in which it operates.
Step 2. Considering the Five Forces of Competition, choose one that you estimate to be the most significant for the selected corporation:
- Evaluate how well the corporation addressed this force in the last five years. Support your response with relevant, specific evidence.
Step 3. With the same force in mind, predict how the corporation could improve its ability to address this force in the next 5-10 years. Support your response with relevant, specific evidence.Step 4. Consider the external threats affecting the corporation:
- Assess how the corporation should deal with its most serious external threat. Support your position with two pieces of specific evidence.
Step 5. Consider the opportunities available to the corporation:
- Assess how the corporation should deal with its greatest opportunity. Support your position with two pieces of specific evidence.
Step 6. Consider the corporation’s greatest strengths:
- Determine the strategy or tactic, as explained in the textbook, the corporation should use to maximize its strengths. Support your choice with specific evidence.
Step 7. Consider the corporation’s most significant weaknesses:
- Determine the strategy or tactic, as explained in the textbook, the corporation should use to minimize its greatest weakness. Support your choice with specific evidence.
- Use three or more quality sources, including your textbook, to support your writing. Choose sources that are credible, relevant, and appropriate. Cite each source listed on your source page at least one time within your assignment. (Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as academic resources.)
- For help with research, writing, and citation, access the library.
- Produce writing that is clear and well organized and applies appropriate Strayer Writing Standards (SWS) style. Writing contains accurate grammar, mechanics, and spelling.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The library is your home for SWS assistance, including citations and formatting. Please refer to the Library site for all support. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is as follows:
- Analyze the effects of the general environment, competition, threats, opportunities, strengths, and weaknesses relative to a corporation.